Thursday, 10 July 2008

hopscotch.

I saw her land on 5 on that pigeon leg
With the reflection of the danger in her eyes
As a mirrored threat

The pivot step caught her off balance
When she heard shouts
From a man speaking poor Spanish
In a Porsche
Banging beats as the doors slamming
As crows carried cries
Of another crime
I watched from the steps with shaded eyes
And I’d pray the lines
Would hold her frame so sturdy
At least in another time
I saw her brother strike a match
On the other side
Of the road
Cigarette stuck to his lips
Just to smother cries
In another life
His subtle strides
Would have met her sooner
These kid games always end with someone hurt
But we still play them
Dumb as dirt
I was numb at first until I saw the scene
Unfold in front of me
So blunt and dreamed
Her eyes so wide
So stunned she bleeds
In that grimace
Her gums recede
All she could hear was that thunder scream
This summer seemed
To wait for this second to break
Every soul on this Earth
Has a definite fate
Life took hold at a deafening pace
We prayed with our eyes closed
That heaven would wait
As the man opened his eyes
And exited his car
To examine the figure that he hit
But he hadn’t got far
When the world caught motion
And we all stopped staring and ran to the her side
I thank god for him
That this wasn’t the day
That she died
She got back to her feet
With grit in her smile

No comments: