She was the rose on my grave
A token display
Of hope as it fades
I spoke in scattershot phrases
My foot tapping the pavement
I was happy and ancient
When she spoke
It was impassioned and aimless
I spent whole days
Racking my brain with
A stereo’d play list
Playing my favourites
Happiness is as close as the tape gets
To replacing my frayed wit
It was all faces and names split
God never informed me
That there was a change in arrangements
I hear they prayed for the day which
To stake my engagement
They couldn’t see in my eyes
That I was patiently waiting
I knew this face wasn’t saving
Her date with a sadist
Who keeps Christians crucified
Until they’re plagued by a brave sin
No shame in those wasting
Lost in the flame we’re encased in
Shedding layers as snakeskin
Lost in tales of great men
She heard words she couldn’t use
Left pale and shaken
We could see
That her frame couldn’t take it
So frail and ageless
The pain spoke in strange whims
She thought this body
Was the grave she’d been placed in
All arthritic framed limbs
She has gutter ball vision
Her arms are the ones
I would’ve stayed in
For days frustrating the situation
That we were placed in
I could look past the greyed skin
She could see I was fading
Her dreams are in paintings
They’re seemingly weightless
Now I’m singing her praises
We hoped for nothing
As ambitious as greatness
We never experienced
A prisoner’s hatred
Alzheimer’s shaking our bones
We were a vision as sages
But now I’m dead
I’m condemned to be free
With her as my bravest
Makeshift hold onto grace
They say we live
Through those we love
Now my stay has been ageless
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment