Sunday, 6 July 2008

i spit blood through a diamond cut.

I spit blood through a diamond cut
It might be love
But the timings off

I’m selling love half price, with grit in my smile
This cities a child, pigeon holed, a vision that’s piled
Sky high, with a night line made from tied twine
And shy signs of lust are played from a dry wine
And every time I die, I’m re-born from ash
No phoenix, no broken wings, just scorn and fact
I’m torn and trashed, falling flat
On a back that’s held the world, and much more than that
I’m poor and trapped in a land made for strong men
Psalms blend when my palms bled, this song ends

[listen]

I’m screaming sonnets in dead end streets
With reddened cheeks, spinning a devils speech
Wishing for a peasants peace, filled with pleasant dreams
I imagine these grey skies aren’t how heaven seems

[please, listen]

I breathe in sepia tones, cigarette in my hand
They leave me alone, a minuet I can stand
Dancing figure eight silhouettes, tipsy of tongue
Our love was nipped in the bud, it was fitting and dumb
We were missing the sun, and I’d strum chords lightly
I ran for the hills and that’s unlike me
I’ll write scenes where the smoke highlights your figure
We stayed in broke motels, watch the lights, they flicker
Fingers trace Braille on skin, the plight of sinners
We shine, and dimmer
We shied from winter

[please, i’m begging you]

My guitar case holds my clothes, cards and cash
Another starving act, with only stars for snacks
Passing back, the petty change, I didn’t ask for that
I left the party blank faced, marred with ash

[just give me the chance to explain]
We made love as the sky fell, under nameless trees
On dirt grazed knees, we were shameless teens
With brazen needs, we were made to see
That life is easy for rogues and thieves
Hopelessly in love on the days spent, saints that bleed
When I left you with my tainted seed
We were brave and lean
Plagued in sleep, with the strangest dreams
You left holding the baby, was the basic scene
I needed to head out of town, find space to breathe

[i tried]

With a broken heart, I walk streets downtrodden
It was years before I realised that we had problems
When the screaming shortened arguments to fist fights
I left in morning with bruises, there was no respite

[i really tried]

When you gave birth to Fiona, I cried my eyes out
Now I was tied down, tired all the time now
We were fighting all the time, so I ran with the moon
Guitar in my hand, singing a passengers blues
I often wonder about what happened to you
And the girl with the blue eyes, scratching at truth
Hopeful, that she keeps her daddy’s musical traits
Tell her I’m sorry I’m not there; I’ve been moving of late
Assuming that fate will bring our paths back one day
But now I’ll keep to these tracks, worn down, rum brave

[i wrote her a song]

I know this letter isn’t much, I speak in broken tongues
I hope your days are well spent, and soaked in sun
It’ll be better tomorrow, she’ll make it worthwhile
That’s why I’ve sent you this, attached with a guitar and a smile

[give her my best]

No comments: